This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MyCatMyMuse #CollectiveBias
Tired of expensive cat toys your cat only plays with once or twice? You’ll want to check out this super easy DIY Cat Toys Tutorial that uses items you probably already have!
If you’ve ever owned a cat, you probably already know that they can have pretty awesome personalities that you want to spoil and take the best care of as possible. One of my favorite way to spoil our cats is with toys. Any time we go to pick up some cat food and treats, we always walk out with at least a cat toy or two, too. However, as many cat owners have experienced, cats tend to like the cheapest things around the house that aren’t even intended to be toys like bottle caps and boxes. So, today I wanted to share one of my favorite easy DIY cat toys tutorials using items you probably already have around the house.
If you’ve ever wondered how to make your own cat toys, they really don’t take as many items as you might think. In fact, this particular toy only takes 2 items: empty toilet paper rolls and either cat treats or dried catnip or catnip spray, which I prefer because it’s mess-free. One of our cat’s favorite past times is eating, so putting treats we like to spoil them with into a toy where they have to work for the treats helps them stay active and healthy. Here’s how to put them together.
Materials Needed For Easy DIY Cat Toys
- Empty toilet paper rolls or paper towel rolls cut in half
- Favorite cat treats and/or catnip spray
- Optional decorations: non-toxic markers for drawing; feathers and other cat-friendly items to hot glue onto the toys
Easy DIY Cat Toys Tutorial
- If needed, pick off any remaining toilet paper or glue scraps on the toilet paper tube – basically anything you wouldn’t want your cat to potentially eat. Yes, one of our cats will literally try to tear these apart and eat them.
- Press down on one side of the toilet paper tube at the top middle, then repeat on the other side at the top, so that the end is loosely closed. Repeat with the other end of the toilet paper tube. It should look like this when you’re done:
- Open the top of the toilet paper tube and fill the toy with some catnip or cat treats.
- Fold the opened end back down to close and decorate the cat toy if desired.
- Call your favorite feline over (or go to them as usually has to be the case) and introduce them to their new toy.
- If your cats aren’t able to get to the treats or catnip through regular play, you may want to cut a hole into the toys or slightly unfold one end so they can get to them more easily.
Important: Remember to always supervise your cat when they’re playing with toys like this to make sure they don’t destroy them and try to eat parts that aren’t cat-friendly.
Natural has never been so delicious. Put Muse to the test with our clean plate guarantee.
Did you know that after playing cats usually like to eat and then take a nap? Feeding our cats a quality food with natural ingredients is one of the most important things to me as a cat parent since natural nutrition helps keep our feline friends happy and healthy. I prefer feeding our cats wet food as it helps them to stay hydrated and recently tried out Purina Muse® Natural Cat Food which, as you can see, the cats really love. All Purina Muse® Natural Cat Food is made with real fish or poultry and has no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives. Plus, the varieties come in broth, chowder or toppers in gravy and paté, which my cats especially seem to enjoy eating. It’s refreshing to see great ingredients in a cat food, making it less difficult when trying to pick out which cat food to buy.
Toby likes Purina Muse® Natural Cat Food so much, he was licking his chops just a few bites in.
With Muse you don’t have to choose between natural nutrition and food that tastes great. Your cat can have both when you choose Muse. Muse is available exclusively at PetSmart with a huge variety of flavors available. If you’ like to give Muse a try, be sure to grab this Buy 3 Muse, Get 3 FREE printable coupon. They’re 100% complete and balanced for adult cats, so you can give them as meals or the occasional treat. I enjoy giving them to our cats as both, especially since there are 30 recipes, with 24 being grain-free, so I know our cats will never get tired of the same old flavors and always want to eat them. I also like that some of the varieties come in plastic bowls that are perfect to feed your cat right out of for one less dirty dish.