This broccoli cauliflower salad recipe features fresh vegetables mixed together with a slightly sweet and tangy dressing. This tasty no lettuce salad is delicious for the summer months or as a festive Christmas salad everyone will enjoy.
During the holidays there's so much rich and indulgent food that I actually look forward to some fresh vegetables now and then.
Don't get me wrong. While this is a salad packed with vegetables, it does include deliciousness like bacon and a creamy dressing.
I love the bold green, white, and red colors making it my favorite festive Christmas salad recipe but it's also a nice lettuce free salad during the warmer months.
Broccoli Cauliflower Salad Ingredients And Substitutions
- Mayonnaise - I'm not someone that likes Miracle Whip, but if you do it should work fine. Greek yogurt will also be okay.
- Bacon fat - If you're cooking your own bacon just use the fat left behind from cooking it. You don't absolutely have to include this ingredient but it certainly helps to add a bit of richness and flavor
- White granulated sugar - You could alternatively use honey or your favorite low carb sweetener if you want to make a low carb salad.
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar - If you don't have apple cider vinegar then white vinegar or red wine vinegar will also work well.
- Salt and pepper
- Broccoli and cauliflower - if desired, you can make this salad with just broccoli or just cauliflower. See notes below about using frozen.
- Bacon - I've always used pork bacon but if you like turkey or some other kind of bacon it should work fine.
- Red onion - I used red onion for the color but you could use white or yellow onion if preferred
- Red bell pepper - I again chose this for the color for Christmas but you could use a different color pepper if you prefer
If you are making this as a holiday salad here are some other ingredients that would work well based on the color that you can add in or replace an ingredient you don't like.
Green - green bell pepper, celery, green onion, green apples (mix in just before serving so they don't brown)
Red - red apples (mix in just before serving so they don't brown), dried cranberries or cherries
White - mozzarella cheese pearls or chunks such as white cheddar, white onion, toasted slivered or sliced almonds
How To Make Christmas Salad
- Make the dressing by whisking together the mayo, bacon fat, sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Taste for seasoning and how tangy or sweet you want your dressing then set aside. Bacon fat may sound weird but it really helps add an awesome flavor throughout the salad.
- Place your chopped vegetables, bacon, and any other desired ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix together until everything is evenly coated.
- The salad is really best once it sits a while. At least two hours or preferably overnight.
See the recipe card below for a printable version complete with ingredients.
Can You Make Broccoli Cauliflower Salad Ahead Of Time?
Yes! In fact it turns out best if you make it the night before you want to serve it so the flavors can really meld.
Just keep in mind that the longer it sits, the more watery the salad will become. It will still taste great, just not look quite as beautiful.
Can You Freeze Broccoli Cauliflower Salad?
I haven't tried freezing this salad and I really don't think it would freeze well because mayo doesn't usually freeze well and the salad is likely to turn out really watery after thawing.
The salad should be good for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator, though.
Can I Use Frozen Broccoli And Cauliflower?
I haven't personally tried using frozen veggies in this but I do think it would turn out okay. You will definitely want to make sure you completely thaw and drain the vegetables before making the salad.
Broccoli Cauliflower Salad Recipe
This broccoli cauliflower salad recipe features fresh vegetables mixed together with a slightly sweet and tangy dressing.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon bacon fat
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups broccoli that has been washed, dried, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups cauliflower that has been washed, dried, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 slices bacon, preferably thick-cut, cooked until crisp and crumbled - also be sure to save 1 teaspoon of the bacon fat
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper
- Place 1 cup mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon bacon fat, 2 tablespoons white sugar, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, and salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk together until thoroughly combined. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt, pepper, or a touch more sugar for a sweeter dressing, or a touch more vinegar for more tang as desired. Set aside
- Place 3 cups broccoli, 3 cups cauliflower, 8 chopped bacon strips, 1 cup red onion, and 1 cup red bell pepper into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and bacon and mix until they are thoroughly coated.
- Cover the dish tightly and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or preferably overnight. Stir well before serving.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 3 - 4 days. The salad will get wetter or more watery the longer it sits.
See the original article for tips to make this broccoli cauliflower salad along with ingredient substitutions and more.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 369mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information may not be accurate. Optional garnishes and toppings aren't included. Nutrition information is calculated automatically by and provided by Nutritionix. Exact nutrition information depends on the specific ingredients, brands, and amounts you use.